UNVEILING OF THE ROUTES FOR 2023

The unveiling of the routes for the 2023 Tour de France and Tour de France Femmes avec Zwift will take place on Thursday 27th October from 11.30 (UTC+2) at the Palais des Congrès convention centre in Paris.

On the road

Grand-Est Region
Departments : Ardennes, Aube, Marne, Haute-Marne, Meurthe-et-Moselle, Meuse, Moselle, Bas-Rhin, Haut-Rhin, Vosges
Population: 5.55 million
Prefecture: Strasbourg
Area: 57,441 km2
Specialities: champagne, sauerkraut, Alsace wines, Nancy blood sausage, Rethel white sausage, flammekueche, kouglof, Ardennes ham, baba au rhum, mirabelle plum, quiche lorraine, madeleine of Commercy
Sports clubs: RC Strasbourg, Stade de Reims, FC Metz, AS Nancy-Lorraine, ESTAC Troyes, FC Mulhouse (football), SIG Strasbourg, SLUC Nancy Basket (basketball), Etoile Noire de Strasbourg, Scorpions de Mulhouse (ice hockey),
Competitions: Moselle Open, Strasbourg International Tennis Championships (tennis), Reims International Jumping, Boucles de la Marne, Stanislas Meeting, Colmar Marathon, Paris-Colmar (athletics)
Economy: automotive (PSA Mulhouse and Trémery, Renault in Batilly, Bugatti, Smart), steel (Arcelor Mittal in Florange), luxury goods (Lalique), aerospace (Clemessy in Mulhouse), railways, banks (Crédit Mutuel), agriculture, beer, winegrowing (Champagne, Alsatian wines) Tourism.
Festivals: Christmas markets in Strasbourg and Colmar, Saint-Nicolas festival in Nancy, Livre sur la place (books on the square bookfair) in Nancy, Colmar book fair, Saint-Louis book forum, RenaissanceS festival in Bar-le-Duc, medieval festival in Sedan, International geography festival in Saint-Dié-les-Vosges, Gérardmer Fantastic Film Festival.
Tourist sites: Stanislas Square in Nancy, Grande île in Strasbourg, Reims Cathedral, Basilica of Saint-Rémi and Archbishop's Palace of Tau in Reims, Basilica of ND de l'Epine, Citadels of Longwy and Neuf-Brisach, Champagne hillsides, Claude and Duval factory in Saint-Dié-les-Vosges, Unterlinden Museum in Colmar, Pompidou Centre in Metz, Ecole de Nancy, Christmas markets.
Website: www.grandest.fr

HAUTE-SAONE (70)
Population: 238,347
Prefecture : Vesoul
Sub-prefecture : Lure
Surface area: 5,360 km².
Region: Burgundy Franche-Comté
Specialities: Cancoillotte and Munster (cheeses), Charcenne and Champlitte wine, Montbozon biscuits, Luxeuil ham, Passavant la Rochère glass and crystal works, Fougerolles Kirsch AOC.
Main sports clubs: Tri Val de Gray (triathlon), Cercle Sportif Vésulien Haute-Saône (CSVHS-Handball), Handball Club Lure Villers (Handball), Groupe Triathlon Vesoul Haute-Saône (GTVHS-triathlon), Club Haltérophile Luxovien (Weightlifting), ASA Luronne (Automobile Sport), Moto Club Haut-Saônois (MCHS-Moto)
Major competitions: Cyclosportive les 3 Ballons, Semaine nationale et européenne des Jeunes Cyclotouristes, Tour Alsace, Championnat de France de Cyclisme sur Route Avenir, Slow Up Vallée de l'Ognon
Culture: Rolling Saône Festival in Gray, Music and Memory Travelling Festival, Festival les Pluralies in Luxeuil-les-Bains
Economy: long-standing industrial tradition of metallurgy, industry with excellent know-how in food processing, textiles, wood, metallurgy, luxury goods, equipment manufacturing, automotive.
Websites and social networks: www.haute-saone.fr / www.facebook.com/departementhautesaone / www.destination70.com


Haute-Saône is located at the foot of the Vosges mountains, halfway between Alsace and Burgundy and close to Germany and Switzerland. There are four easy ways to discover this destination where nature remains unspoilt:
. By bike on forest tracks and country roads: the Green Way, which links the V50 cycle route to the EuroVelo, or the 21 signposted cycle loops with varying degrees of difficulty
. On horseback, nearly 500 kilometres of horse trails stretch from the Southern Vosges to the Saône Valley.
. On foot, the four long-distance footpaths (GR 5, 7, 59 and 533) and the Via Francigena. Walkers in search of meaning and spirituality will gladly follow in the footsteps of pilgrims on the roads to Santiago de Compostela and Saint Columban.
. On the water, the 130 kilometres of the Petite Saône: river navigation is facilitated by numerous facilities. The Saint-Albin tunnel and its 681-metre crossing are surprising.

Km 5.2

LANTENOT (Pop: 360)

The riders are on Thibaut Pinot's home ground as Mélisey, his village, borders on Lantenot.

Km 15.8

FROIDECONCHE (Pop: 1,990)

Historically, the economy of Froideconche is essentially based on the wood industry (many sawmills, joineries and furniture manufacturers are located there). Since the beginning of the 2000s, new companies have set up in the Zouzette and Noyés zones, in a wide variety of fields (crafts, secondary and tertiary sectors).

Km 18.5

SAINT-SAUVEUR (Pop: 1,930)

A world figure in skydiving and one of the forerunners of hang gliding and wingsuiting, Leo Valentin is sometimes considered the first 'birdman', although the term is an overstatement, as his equipment only allowed him to glide, not fly, and required him to use a parachute, which he usually opened 1,000m above the ground, to land. In 1956, this former World War II 'paratrooper' undertook his 701st jump in Liverpool in front of 100,000 spectators. One of his wings hit the plane and neither of his parachutes opened. He crashed.
The body of Léo Valentin arrived by plane at 116 Luxeuil-Saint Sauveur air base, in Haute-Saône, where military honours were paid to him. Placed on an Air Force command-car covered with flowers, the body arrived at the church of Saint-Sauveur. The crowd, from the highest authorities to school children, paid their last respects to him on June 3, 1956. He is buried in the Saint-Sauveur cemetery.

Km 20.5

LUXEUIL-LES-BAINS (Pop: 6,620)

The town owes its name to the hot and cold springs whose virtues have been recognised since Antiquity. Combining the charms of an 18th century building with the most modern techniques, the spa located in the heart of the town, welcomes every year many curists for phlebology and rheumatology. The waters of Luxeuil-les-Bains are unique in France: hyperthermal sodium chloride waters, slightly siliceous, alkaline and sulphated.
The Gallo-Roman period saw the town develop around its thermal waters, which allowed the development of a craft industry. In the 6th and 7th centuries, around the cloister and the abbey that he founded, Saint Colomban boosted the spiritual and intellectual influence of the town. The Renaissance saw Luxeuil acquire a rich architectural heritage. In the 18th and 19th centuries, the thermal baths were built which made the town famous. Finally, at the beginning of the 20th century, the construction of the 116 air base also contributed to the economic prosperity of Luxeuil-les-Bains.
It is also the birthplace of former rugby international Gérard Cholley, former international footballer Jérémy Mathieu, as well as former cyclist Dominique Arnould, world cyclo-cross champion in 1993, winner of a stage in the Tour in 1992 and currently sports director of the Total Energies team.

SIGHTS:

The Spa
Construction: 17th century.
Listing: listed as a historical monument in 1862.
History: In the pit where the thermal baths are located, springs flowed out of the ground in the open air. The Romans built the first thermal baths around these hot springs. The ruins of the ancient Luxovium lie some four metres below the park lawns. The Vosges pink sandstone spa is one of the oldest in France, built in the 17th century and listed as a historical monument in 1862.
Characteristics: Luxeuil water is chlorinated, sodic, siliceous and sulphated. The water (at 34°C), rich in trace elements, has curative virtues in phlebology, rheumatology and gynaecology.

Museum of the Aldermen's Tower
Construction: 15th century.
Listing: listed as a historical monument in 1862.
History: the building was built in the second half of the 15th century by Henry, son of Perrin Jouffoy, and therefore brother of Cardinal Jean Jouffroy. It was originally called the Jouffroy Tower or the Square House. It owes its current name to the fact that the elected municipal officials were called "échevins" (aldermen). Initially rented, it was acquired in 1552 by the notables of Luxeuil to serve as the town hall.
However, as early as 22 January 1673, the town council decided to "collect the antiques found on its territory and to deposit them at the Town Hall". This date is considered to be the date of the creation of the museum.
Current use: this magnificent 15th century building, after having been successively a town hall, a civil prison, an archive centre and a library, has housed the municipal museum of art, history and archaeology of the town since 1865.

Saint Columban Abbey
Foundation: 590 by Saint Columban.
Listing: listed as a Historical Monument in 1862.
History and characteristics: the monastery was founded around 585-590 by Irish missionary Saint Columban. Colomban and his followers had first built a priory at Annegray, in the commune of La Voivre. In search of a more suitable place for the permanent establishment of his community, Colomban chose the ruins of a Gallo-Roman village: Luxovium. A Benedictine abbey until the Revolution (1792), then a diocesan minor seminary (until 1985), the buildings adjacent to St Peter's Basilica are now occupied by a pastoral and cultural centre and a Catholic college. The vast buildings were rebuilt in the 17th and 18th centuries. They contain some beautiful rooms with their authentic Louis XV stucco decoration. Although one of its wings and most of its columns have been removed, the Gothic cloister offers the visitor an ideal setting for a meditative walk. Far from having stopped in Luxeuil, the Irish abbot Saint Colomban and his disciples left many traces in the region: Annegray, Saint-Marie-en-Chanois and Saint-Valbert.

Km 28.6

FOUGEROLLES (Pop: 3,720)

An authentic town located on the border between Franche-Comté and Lorraine, in the foothills of the Vosges mountains, Fougerolles has a rich heritage and traditions that are still very much alive. In a renovated town centre, it is pleasant to stroll around in search of local products such as AOC kirsch, to which the beautiful Pays de la Cerise ecomuseum pays tribute.

Gandeuillot de Fougerolles
Gandeuillot is a delicatessen speciality of the small town of Fougerolles and of the Haute-Saône. It is a very large sausage, made from a mixture of pork meat and tripe. The whole thing is stuffed into a pork belly, then cooked and smoked over a wood fire. It is a festive dish because it is quite rare, as only one gandeuillot can be produced per pig.
Gandeuillot can be eaten hot or cold, as an aperitif cut into slices, or on the barbecue with potatoes.

Km 39

RADDON-ET-CHAPENDU (Pop: 860)

According to one tradition, a Roman camp was located at Raddon and Chapendu. However, no research has been able to confirm its existence.
The strange name of "Chapendu" is also the source of many legends: it is said to have come from the fact that the monks of Saint-Colomban hung their cloaks on the trees during the clearing of the land, hence the name "cape-tendues". Unless this name is a deformation of "Champs pentus" or a contraction of "Cha Pen Du", an expression which in Celtic meant "beginning of the black forest"... In the 19th century, the commune was animated by numerous businesses: oil mills, sandstone and lava quarries, paper mills and weaving.
The village has a small architectural heritage made up of calvaries, fountains, washhouses, etc. You can also still see some chalots near the farms: these small granaries are typical of the Vosges Saônoises.
There are several boulders in the municipal forest. Their strange shapes have given rise to many legends. According to one of them, Saint Valbert had a meal on the "Pierre de la Miche".
Located in the heart of the Mille Étangs, Raddon-et-Chapendu is a very pleasant setting for cycling, hiking or horse riding.

Km 45.3

LA VOIVRE (Pop: 130)

The hamlet of Annegray (commune of La Voivre) is the site of the first monastery of the Irishman Saint Columban, founded at the end of the 6th century. The monk chose this site for the landscape, close to those of Ireland, and more probably to occupy a cultural desert following the destructuring of the country of the Franks by the fall of the Roman Empire and the barbarian invasions. The site contains the foundations of the Romanesque priory of St John the Baptist, a chapel reconstructed from scattered elements recovered in the region, two calvaries, the bust of Mgr Thiebaut, who was responsible for the rediscovery of the site, and a pyramid marker.

Km 45.3

FAUCOGNEY-ET-LA-MER (Pop: 470)

Besieged, taken and pillaged by the French in 1674, the town was the last strategic site to fiercely resist Louis XIV during the conquest of Franche-Comté. Rebuilt and then destroyed again by fire in 1745, Faucogney had difficulty recovering from these ordeals. However, the town expanded outside the old ramparts in the 18th century and has retained its appearance to this day. The bastion of the Sires of Faucogney, which has long remained a secret place, is revealed through a beautiful historical tour.

SIGHTS:

St. Martin's Church
Faucogney-et-la-Mer has one of the oldest churches in Franche-Comté. The foundations are thought to predate the 6th century. The ancient church of Saint-Martin, surrounded by its famous cemetery, itself very old, is perched on the mountain bearing the same name. The church remained a parish church until 1712, despite its remote and isolated position. It dominates the Breuchin valley and, from the top of its mountain, the view is breathtaking.

The Thousand Ponds Plateau
12,000 years ago, glaciers shaped a remarkable landscape, the Plateau des Mille Étangs, 220 km2 of poor land and marshes, stretching from Lure to Faucogney, passing through Melisey, Servance, the Col des Croix and the Ballon de Servance. This fascinating region, the Haute Vallée de l'Ognon, invites you to discover moors, meadows, green forests, lakes and rivers. A unique vision of a rich and magnificent nature, maintained by the hand of man... On the Plateau des Mille Étangs, the villages are full of picturesque monuments, natural sites, museums, churches, listed altarpieces, mills, panoramic views, footpaths, stopover gîtes, mountain bike circuits and cultural events. An exceptional rural and human heritage, in the hamlets that make it up.

Km 66.3

HAUT-DU-THEM-CH TEAU-LAMBERT (Pop: 440)

The Espace Nature Culture, inaugurated in 2009 in Château-Lambert, brings together the Maison de la Nature des Vosges saônoises, the offices of the Ballons Comtois National Nature Reserve and those of the Ballons des Vosges Regional Nature Park.
In addition, in the wave of open-air museums and ecomuseums created in the 1970s, the departmental mountain museum presents a group of recreated dwellings in a park in the heart of the Vosges Saônoises, at Château-Lambert.

VOSGES (88)
Population: 364,499.
Prefecture : Épinal
Sub-prefectures : Neufchâteau, Saint-Dié-des-Vosges
Area: 5,874 km2
Specialities: Munster gérômé, tofailles, fumé, blueberry pie, Vosges sweets, fruit and flower crus, Vosges honey, Val d'Ajol andouille, Plombières ice cream, Vosges salad.
Sports clubs: EHC (Epinal Hockey Club), SAS Football, Epinal Handball, SAS Volley, Les Louves de Saint-Dié (volleyball), ASR Table Tennis Etival-Raon, ASGE Basket, GESN canoe-kayak.
Competitions: Granfondo Vosges, Open 88 Grand Est, Michelin Enduro des Hautes Vosges, XTerra France in Xonrupt-Longemer, Triathlon of Gérardmer, Infernal Trail des Vosges de Saint Nabord, Trail de la Vallée des Lacs, Aquathlon of Vittel, XCO and Downhill Mountain Bike World Cups in La Bresse, 2021 French Cycling Championships in Épinal. Sportsmen and women : Julien Absalon, Rémy Absalon, Nacer Bouhanni, Steve Chainel, Clément Noël, Romain Febvre, Fabien Claude, Emilien Claude, Florent Claude, Paula Botet, Sarah Vieuille, Pauline Ferrand-Prévot.
Tourist sites: "Visages de Jehanne" interpretation centre in Domrémy-la-Pucelle, Joan of Arc House and the Basilica of Bois Chenu, Gallo-Roman archaeological site of Grand, People’s Theatre in Bussang, Imagerie d’Epinal, Hautes Mynes in Le Thillot, the Abbeys of Saint-Dié-des-Vosges, Le Tétras 1139 at Col de la Schlucht and its interpretation centre, and the René Pottier Stele in Saint Maurice sur Moselle. 4 thermal spas: Bains-les-Bains, Contrexéville, Plombières-les-Bains and Vittel. Skiing in Gérardmer and La Bresse.
Festivals: International Geography Festival in Saint-Dié, Les Imaginales (festival of imaginary worlds) in Epinal, Fantastic'art Festival (fantasy film) and Daffodil Festival in Gérardmer, Festival of the Abbeys of Senones, Moyenmoutier and Etival, of Saint-Dié today's cathedral and of Autrey Abbey, Joan of Arc Festival in Domrémy.
Economy: industrial nuggets in the field of wood and paper such as Henryot & Cie and the famous paper manufacturer Clairefontaine in Etival. Numerous craftsmen, including the craftsmen and luthiers of Mirecourt. More recent companies such as IN'BÔ, at the forefront of the manufacture of wooden glasses, skateboards and bamboo bicycles using local and bio-sourced resources. The textile industry is also renowned in the Vosges (Garnier-Thiébaut, Jaquard Français, etc.). The Vosges department has developed the Je Vois la Vie en Vosges brand.
Websites and social networks :
www.vosges.fr
www.tourisme.vosges.fr
jevoislavieenvosges.com
foret.vosges.fr
https://bike.vosges.fr

Km 68.9

LE THILLOT (Pop: 3,700)

Formerly a mining town and then a textile stronghold, Le Thillot was the canton of Jules Ferry and the town of François Remetter, the legendary goalkeeper of the French football team in the 1950s.

Haute-Mynes du Thillot
Operation: 1560 to 1761.
Listing: listed as a historical monument in 1995.
History: the history of the mines in the Upper Moselle Valley began in 1550. The silver seams were exploited at Bussang and Fresse-sur-Moselle. In 1560, a smelter was built in Saint-Maurice, near the forests where the charcoal needed to smelt the ores was produced. This silver extraction was in decline from 1580 onwards, while at Le Thillot, the production of copper, which had begun in 1560, took off remarkably quickly. The richness of the seams in the Upper Moselle Valley and the know-how of the miners led to a mining activity that reached its peak in the 17th century and lasted until 1761.
Characteristics: the underground network, partly listed, presents through the visit of three galleries all the ingenuity of the miners of the Renaissance to pierce the rock and thus extract the copper ore. The Maison des Hautes-Mynes, installed in the former station of Le Thillot, completes the visit of the mining site. An 18th century pumping station, brought to light by archaeology, is the highlight of a museum area where panels, models and archaeological material offer an opportunity to discover a little-known part of Lorraine's history.

Km 75.6

SAINT-MAURICE-SUR-MOSELLE (Pop: 1,370)

Saint-Maurice-sur-Moselle is the birthplace of Jacques Georges, former president of the French Football Federation (1968 to 1972) and of UEFA (1983 to 1990), but also of the writer Pierre Pelot, popular author of more than 200 novels.

Km 84.6

Ballon d'Alsace

Ridden 27 times, the Ballon d'Alsace was the first major pass to be climbed by the Tour de France riders in 1905. René Pottier came out on top and did it again the following year, the year he won the Tour. A plaque pays tribute to the man who committed suicide a few months after his victory in January 1907. Eddy Merckx was in the lead at the summit in 1969. Fifty years later, the last time the men's Tour de France went over the summit, another Belgian, Tim Wellens, was in the lead.

Territoire de Belfort (90)
Population: 147,800.
Prefecture: Belfort
Surface area: 609 km².
Specialities: AOP Munster (cheese), cancoillotte (cheese), blueberry, toutché (potato cake), Belflore (cake), crottes du Lion (chocolates), facettes du Territoire (chocolates), pattes du Lion (bread), Rebelle (beer), épaule du Ballon (lamb)
Sports: hiking, horse riding, mountain biking, cycling, paragliding, accrobranche, golf, downhill skiing, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, snowboarding, water activities at the Malsaucy water sports centre (dinghy, canoeing, windsurfing, kayaking, rowing and stand-up paddle), fishing.
Competitions : The Belfort Triathlon, Lion Half Marathon, Tour Cycliste du Territoire de Belfort, Enduro du Lion, BelforTrail-GiroTrail
Festival: Eurockéennes, one of the biggest festivals in Europe, International University Music Festival, Flâneries d'été, International Film Festival Entrevues, conte et compagnies, Solstice de la Marionnette, Impetus festival.
Economy: High-tech industrial cluster with Alstom, General Electric and PSA nearby, competitiveness clusters around mobility and microtechnology, Techn'Hom and La Jonxion economic activity zones, business tourism
Websites and social networks: www.territoiredebelfort.fr / www.belfort-tourisme.com / www.facebook.com/cd90.fr / www.facebook.com/belfort.tourisme.officiel / twitter.com/Departement_90

Km 100.2

GIROMAGNY (Pop: 3,000)

Fort of Giromagny
Construction: 1875 to 1879.
Listing: listed as a historical monument in 1995.
History: Built between 1875 and 1879, the fort was designed to house 650 men and originally housed around 50 artillery pieces. It was modernised in 1888 and again during the First World War. The fort was equipped with the first two Mougin turrets. On 18 June 1940, the garrison fired a few rounds at German troops before surrendering. In 1941, the Germans sent workers from the Compulsory Labour Service to recover the most important metal parts remaining in the fort, in particular the two turrets, which ended their career in the foundries of the Third Reich.
Since then, the fort has been abandoned until 1988 when the commune of Giromagny bought the fort and its surrounding land and entrusted the restoration and maintenance to the Association du Fort Dorsner (AFD).

HAUTE-SAONE (70)
Population: 238,347
Prefecture : Vesoul
Sub-prefecture : Lure
Surface area: 5,360 km².
Region: Burgundy Franche-Comté
Specialities: Cancoillotte and Munster (cheeses), Charcenne and Champlitte wine, Montbozon biscuits, Luxeuil ham, Passavant la Rochère glass and crystal works, Fougerolles Kirsch AOC.
Main sports clubs: Tri Val de Gray (triathlon), Cercle Sportif Vésulien Haute-Saône (CSVHS-Handball), Handball Club Lure Villers (Handball), Groupe Triathlon Vesoul Haute-Saône (GTVHS-triathlon), Club Haltérophile Luxovien (Weightlifting), ASA Luronne (Automobile Sport), Moto Club Haut-Saônois (MCHS-Moto)
Major competitions: Cyclosportive les 3 Ballons, Semaine nationale et européenne des Jeunes Cyclotouristes, Tour Alsace, Championnat de France de Cyclisme sur Route Avenir, Slow Up Vallée de l'Ognon
Culture: Rolling Saône Festival in Gray, Music and Memory Travelling Festival, Festival les Pluralies in Luxeuil-les-Bains
Economy: long-standing industrial tradition of metallurgy, industry with excellent know-how in food processing, textiles, wood, metallurgy, luxury goods, equipment manufacturing, automotive.
Websites and social networks: www.haute-saone.fr / www.facebook.com/departementhautesaone / www.destination70.com


Haute-Saône is located at the foot of the Vosges mountains, halfway between Alsace and Burgundy and close to Germany and Switzerland. There are four easy ways to discover this destination where nature remains unspoilt:
. By bike on forest tracks and country roads: the Green Way, which links the V50 cycle route to the EuroVelo, or the 21 signposted cycle loops with varying degrees of difficulty
. On horseback, nearly 500 kilometres of horse trails stretch from the Southern Vosges to the Saône Valley.
. On foot, the four long-distance footpaths (GR 5, 7, 59 and 533) and the Via Francigena. Walkers in search of meaning and spirituality will gladly follow in the footsteps of pilgrims on the roads to Santiago de Compostela and Saint Columban.
. On the water, the 130 kilometres of the Petite Saône: river navigation is facilitated by numerous facilities. The Saint-Albin tunnel and its 681-metre crossing are surprising.

Km 113.5

PLANCHER-DES-MINES (Pop : 2,550)

For a long time, Plancher-les-Mines was part of the commune of Plancher-Bas. It was then called Plancher-Haut. It was separated from it in the 17th century. Its suffix comes from the silver mines that made the commune famous: in 1619, they were reputed to be the most productive in the Empire.
In the 18th century, two glass factories made Plancher-les-Mines famous: they were operated by German-speaking glassmakers who exploited plots of land in the Saint-Antoine forest which were difficult to access. At the place called Marbranche, a quarry where the raw material was extracted is listed as a Historic Monument.
The neo-Gothic church of Plancher-Bas dates from the 19th century. An 18th century silver ciborium is kept in the sacristy.
In Plancher-les-Mines, the fairground museum exhibits numerous models of traditional or more original rides, as well as postcards, posters, music boxes and various works.