UNVEILING OF THE ROUTES FOR 2023

The unveiling of the routes for the 2023 Tour de France and Tour de France Femmes avec Zwift will take place on Thursday 27th October from 11.30 (UTC+2) at the Palais des Congrès convention centre in Paris.

On the road

Grand-Est Region

Departments : Ardennes, Aube, Marne, Haute-Marne, Meurthe-et-Moselle, Meuse, Moselle, Bas-Rhin, Haut-Rhin, Vosges
Population: 5.55 million
Prefecture: Strasbourg
Area: 57,441 km2
Specialities: champagne, sauerkraut, Alsace wines, Nancy blood sausage, Rethel white sausage, flammekueche, kouglof, Ardennes ham, baba au rhum, mirabelle plum, quiche lorraine, madeleine of Commercy
Sports clubs: RC Strasbourg, Stade de Reims, FC Metz, AS Nancy-Lorraine, ESTAC Troyes, FC Mulhouse (football), SIG Strasbourg, SLUC Nancy Basket (basketball), Etoile Noire de Strasbourg, Scorpions de Mulhouse (ice hockey),
Competitions: Moselle Open, Strasbourg International Tennis Championships (tennis), Reims International Jumping, Boucles de la Marne, Stanislas Meeting, Colmar Marathon, Paris-Colmar (athletics)
Economy: automotive (PSA Mulhouse and Trémery, Renault in Batilly, Bugatti, Smart), steel (Arcelor Mittal in Florange), luxury goods (Lalique), aerospace (Clemessy in Mulhouse), railways, banks (Crédit Mutuel), agriculture, beer, winegrowing (Champagne, Alsatian wines) Tourism.
Festivals: Christmas markets in Strasbourg and Colmar, Saint-Nicolas festival in Nancy, Livre sur la place (books on the square bookfair) in Nancy, Colmar book fair, Saint-Louis book forum, RenaissanceS festival in Bar-le-Duc, medieval festival in Sedan, International geography festival in Saint-Dié-les-Vosges, Gérardmer Fantastic Film Festival.
Tourist sites: Stanislas Square in Nancy, Grande île in Strasbourg, Reims Cathedral, Basilica of Saint-Rémi and Archbishop's Palace of Tau in Reims, Basilica of ND de l'Epine, Citadels of Longwy and Neuf-Brisach, Champagne hillsides, Claude and Duval factory in Saint-Dié-les-Vosges, Unterlinden Museum in Colmar, Pompidou Centre in Metz, Ecole de Nancy, Christmas markets.
Website: www.grandest.fr

HAUT-RHIN (68)

Population: 761,480
Prefecture: Colmar
Sub-prefectures: Mulhouse, Altkirch, Guebwiller, Ribeauvillé, Thann
Area: 3,525 km2
Specialities: Alsatian wines, sauerkraut, munster, fried carp from the Sungdau, fleischschnacka (pasta and minced meat), melfor (vinegar).
Major clubs: FC Mulhouse, Scorpions de Mulhouse (ice hockey). Mulhouse Olympic Swimming.
Competitions: Colmar international fencing tournament, Colmar Grand Prix (track cycling),
Festivals: Colmar Christmas Market, Colmar Book Festival, Colmar Musicales, Colmar International Classical Music Festival, Mulhouse Automobile Festival, Bête de Scène in Mulhouse.
Tourist sites: train city and car city (Mulhouse), Ecomuseum of Alsace (Ungersheim), Unterlinden Museum in Colmar, collegiate churches (Thann and Colmar), villages of Hunawihr, Eguisheim and Riquewihr.
Economy: agriculture (rapeseed, wheat, corn, wine), automotive, textile, tourism
Websites and social networks : www.haut-rhin.fr

Km 2.6

SAINT-HIPPOLYTE (Pop: 1,000)

A wine-growing town, situated at the foot of the Haut-Koenigsbourg, Saint Hippolyte is a typical village known for its Saint Hippolyte red (pinot noir). The former castle of the Dukes of Lorraine, built at the beginning of the 17th century (against one of the fortified towers), and entirely rebuilt a century later, is the former college that dominates the town, now a rest home for Marianist monks. The fortified enclosure built in 1316, reinforced several times, still surrounds almost the entire town, which lost its two fortified gates and its four defence towers in 1862. The Stork Tower, the only surviving tower, has a sloping roof and defends the south-eastern corner of the town. A signposted walk (Wall path) follows the line of the ramparts outside the town.
Within the walls, beautiful Renaissance or Baroque houses lead to the double square of the town hall and the church, where you can discover a fountain dating from 1555 which adorns the centre of this square.
The parish church (14th century) had a bell tower added in 1822, giving it the appearance of an Italian Gothic church. The 13th century vaulted choir houses the relics of Saint Hippolyte in a shrine dating from 1766.

Haut-Kœnigsbourg Castle
Construction: 13th to 20th century.
Style: medieval castle.
Listing: listed as a historical monument in 1862.
History: abandoned after 1633, this prestigious castle was offered by the city of Sélestat to William II of Hohenzollern in 1899. Dreaming of resurrecting the old Germanic Empire, he indulged his passion for the Middle Ages by entrusting the restoration of the castle to architect Bodo Ebhardt, a specialist in medieval fortifications. Thus restored, to the delight of castle lovers, Haut-Kœnigsbourg offers a remarkable vision of what a mountain fortress was like in 15th century Alsace.
Characteristics: from the artillery platform or Grand Bastion, this exceptional monument with its characteristic silhouette offers a unique panorama of the Alsace plain, the Vosges, the Black Forest, and on a clear day, the Alps...
A major element of Alsace's heritage and a witness to European history, the Haut-Kœnigsbourg castle today allows a wide range of visitors to learn about the castle's architecture, the Middle Ages and the restoration of the early 20th century through a wide range of visits, activities and events.
Current destination: it is no coincidence that the castle welcomes more than half a million visitors each year. It is one of the most visited monuments in France.

Km 6.4

BERGHEIM (Pop: 2,150)

It was during the Middle Ages, under the Lordship of the Ribeaupierre, lords of Ribeauvillé, that Bergheim took off. It is from this period that Bergheim has preserved its particularly well-maintained ramparts (14th century), which are ideal for walks and the discovery of Annette's Garden, a medieval garden where medicinal plants are grown. In the 16th and 17th centuries, Bergheim was the scene of numerous witch trials, at the end of which forty women were burned at the stake. Maison des Sorcières, a historical museum, retraces the lives of these witches and the minutes of their trials. Today, the charm of this small town lies in its flowery décor arranged around its old houses, its fortifications, its narrow streets, its old washhouse, its Gothic church and its old synagogue.

Reichenberg Castle
Construction: 1242 to 1870.
Listing: listed as a historical monument in 1995.
History: this castle can be considered as a predecessor of Haut-Koenigsbourg, for two reasons. Firstly, geographically: its location on a rocky hill at the entrance to the Bergenbach valley, overlooking one of the roads leading to Haut-Koenigsbourg castle, makes it, involuntarily, one of the guardians of the illustrious castle. But, above all, the interest of the Reichenberg is to be considered in terms of the history of architectural ideas. The work carried out between 1890 and 1925, based on a 13th century building, was an attempt to rebuild a medieval castle into a residence. The result is a building in three parts: a massive rectangular dwelling on the south side, an intermediate body and a large tower with a round base and octagonal floor on the north side.
Current use: private residence and vineyard.

Km 8.9

RIBEAUVILLÉ (Pop: 4,760)

In the Middle Ages, the town was the seat of the Ribeaupierre family (hence the name of the town of Ribeauvillé). The latter built three castles, the ruins of which still dominate the town and the surrounding hills. All three are accessible via a hiking trail on the mountainside: the oldest and most important castle, Saint-Ulrich Castle, Girsberg Castle, and Haut-Ribeaupierre Castle. Of its medieval fortifications, the town still retains part of its ramparts and some of its defensive towers, including Tour des Bouchers (13th century, rebuilt in the 18th century), which owes its name to the Butchers' Guild, which was responsible for defending the town from this tower in case of an attack. The Grand'rue and its picturesque districts are dotted with squares decorated with Renaissance-style fountains, including the town hall, the Butchers' Tower, the old corn exchange and the minstrels' house.
Numerous festivals punctuate the calendar of events in this commune, in particular the "Pfifferdaj" (festival of the minstrels) which perpetuates the memory of the meetings of the brotherhood of the minstrels of Alsace which met since 1481 in Ribeauvillé to elect their king. This festival, the oldest in Alsace, which alternates between the presentation of floats and brass bands, is still celebrated in Ribeauvillé every first Sunday of September.

Km 18.7

AMMERSCHWIHR (Pop: 1,800)

This city situated between the vineyards and the forest has been awarded several times at the national level in the competition of the Villes et Villages Fleuris. It should be noted that the Haut-Rhin department, like the Bas-Rhin department, both hold the national Trophy for the most flowery department.
Occupied since Roman times, Ammerschwihr is mentioned in 869 under the name of Amalrici Villare or village of Amalric. Reduced to ashes in 1945, during the last struggle for the reconquest of the national soil, it has been resurrected in its rustic setting. The church, built in honour of Saint Martin, is still there, as are the dungeons and the ramparts. Today, this quiet and flowery town, situated between the vineyards and the forest, has been awarded several national prizes in the competition for flowery towns and villages. Ammerschwihr is famous for its great wines, especially the Grand Cru du Kaefferkopf, and for being the town in Alsace with the largest number of winegrowers in relation to the number of inhabitants.

Km 21.5

INGERSHEIM (Pop: 4,640)

The baroque-style church of Saint-Barthélémy is a tourist attraction in Ingersheim, with a Romanesque bell tower with an elongated bulb that is not found anywhere else in Europe. While strolling through the streets of the Alsatian town, one can also appreciate the charms of the Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes chapel, the 13th century Witches' Tower, the former Salomon castle which was later used as a hospital or the Wackenheim mill. The commune also has a beautiful group of old winegrowers' houses, as well as a Renaissance house located in the old centre. Equipped with a gothic bell tower, the house that once housed the Ingersheim town hall is now listed as a Historical Monument for its roofs, facades and bell tower.

Km 24.4

TURCKHEIM (Pop: 3,700)

Turckheim is a pretty medieval town, once fortified, with its cellars and half-timbered houses. It is renowned for its high quality wines, such as the famous Brand, whose vines were fed with the blood of a dragon, according to legend.
Located in the heart of a former 18th century cellar which served as a shelter for the inhabitants during the Second World War, the memorial museum of the fighting in the Colmar area allows you to discover the story of these two months of hell.
Listed as a Historical Monument, the church of Sainte-Anne has an elegant neo-classical façade and a Gothic bell tower.
Strolling through the narrow streets with their colourful half-timbered houses, you can also discover the Brothers' Chapel, the state-owned courtyard of the former 13th-century Münster Abbey, which is listed as a historical monument, the former 16th-century hospice, and an 18th-century fountain and well.
The 16th-century town hall, the former guardhouse and guildhall from the 16th century and the 17th-century Hôtel des Deux Clefs are worth a stop.
A historical tour with more than 250 photographs allows visitors to appreciate the heritage and history of Turckheim, the birthplace of actress Charlotte de Turckheim's family.

Km 33.8

GUNSBACH (Pop: 890)

Gunsbach is known worldwide thanks to Albert Schweitzer, Nobel Peace Prize winner, who spent many years here. Albert Schweitzer is a doctor, pastor and Protestant theologian, philosopher and musician from Alsace.
The hospital he developed in the equatorial forest on the banks of the Ogooué from 1913 onwards made him a worldwide celebrity. In 1952, the award of the Nobel Peace Prize brought him consecration and considerable media visibility. An outstanding figure of the 20th century, a "universal man", he is at the same time an emblematic figure of Alsace, of liberal theology or of admirers of Johann Sebastian Bach. He is sometimes seen as a precursor of humanitarian action, ecology, anti-speciesism and nuclear disarmament.


Albert Schweitzer Museum
Founded: 1928
Listing: Maison des Illustres.
History: In 1928 Albert Schweitzer had this house built thanks to the Goethe Prize awarded to him that year by the city of Frankfurt. He stayed here for more than thirty years, each time he returned from Lambaréné and, for the last time, in 1959.
Today, the museum occupies two rooms on the ground floor, a living and working area and a more personal room. The objects on display in the living room include photographs of Albert Schweitzer's family, his wife Hélène Breslau, his colleagues Emma Hausknecht, Emmy Martin and Mathilde Kottmann, the Nobel Peace Prize under glass, and gifts and souvenirs in display cases. The room contains his doctor's trunk, photos, objects and sculptures, products in a cupboard, a pilgrim's coat hanging on the wall next to a poem by Hélène.
On the second floor, a space is dedicated to the archives, which are constantly evolving. A library contains all the writings of Albert Schweitzer and those dedicated to him.
The collection of Gabonese objects of art and utensils assembled by Albert Schweitzer's collaborator, Emma Hausknecht, is presented to the public on another site, on the first floor of the town hall, in the former classroom where Albert Schweitzer spent his first four school years.

Km 35.6

MUNSTER (Pop: 5,100)

Munster is most famous for the cheese that the town produces and to which it has given its name. The town itself takes its name from the monastery that was established in the town in the 7th century and became the Abbey of St Gregory of Munster. Its monks were perhaps the first manufacturers of this soft, cylindrical cow's cheese, of which more than 8,000 tons are produced each year. Munster cheese is often eaten with caraway (cumin). From the 9th century onwards, it was the Malker or marcaires, high mountain farmers, who produced this cheese.
The Munster valley is distinguished from the rest of Alsace by its alpine appearance, which has earned it the nickname of Little Switzerland. The form of the Alsatian dialect spoken is often difficult to understand for those coming from another region, even if it is nearby.

Ruins of the Saint-Grégoire de Munster Abbey
Foundation: 660
Listing: listed as a Historic Monument in 1990 and 1992.
Characteristics: Saint-Grégoire de Munster Abbey (Haut-Rhin) is an abbey of the Order of Saint Benedict founded in the 660s under the administration of Frankish Duke Bonifacius. The abbey is still famous for being the origin of Munster cheese, but was also one of the most influential monasteries in Alsace.
History: Around the year 660, monks belonging to the obedience of St. Benedict settled in the valley of Munster, on land donated by the Frankish king Chilperic II. The abbey gradually gained in importance and was fiercely contested by the bishops of Basel and the German emperors. The abbey recovered after the annexation by France in 1648 but was dismantled in 1790.

Km 38.8

LUTTENBACH-PRÈS-MUNSTER (Pop: 750)

The ruins of a castle belonging to Pierre de Coubertin, which was destroyed during the First World War, are located in the municipality.

Km 48.6

Petit Ballon (1,163 m)

The Petit Ballon (Kahler Wasen or Kleiner Belchen in German) is a secondary summit of the Vosges massif located in the Haut-Rhin department. It reaches an altitude of 1,272 metres. Its summit offers a panoramic viewpoint, marked by a statue of the Virgin and a radio antenna. The road does not allow direct access to the summit but only to the pass at an altitude of 1,163 m.
The tenth stage of the 2014 Tour de France passed over the Col du Petit Ballon (1,163 m). It was climbed by Luttenbach. Joaquim Rodríguez rode it in the lead, in a breakaway group. On the descent to Sondernach, Alberto Contador crashed. He started again but injured his knee and had to give up within an hour.

Km 58.7

SONDERNACH (Pop: 600)

Church of the Emm
Built: 1931
Characteristics: Located at the bottom of a valley and in the centre of an exceptional site, the Emm Memorial Church is dedicated to the dead of the 1914-1918 war in the Vosges and in particular to those who fell during the very deadly battle of Metzeral in June 1915. A dedication in capital letters stands out on the façade: "To our valiant soldiers, the grateful Alsace". It is entirely made of pink Vosges sandstone with a massive bell tower housing four bells listed as Historic Monuments. Inside, one can admire a high altar in white Carrara marble, and along the nave, yellow Sienna marble plaques with the names of the fallen soldiers.
History: the church of Emm is built on the site of an old chapel dating from the 15th century, destroyed during the battle of Metzeral, and which would have been dedicated to Emma, the wife of Roland. Emma's soul is said to have haunted the place since the death of her husband at Roncesvalles.

Km 65.8

Platzerwasel Pass

Located at an altitude of 1,183m, the Platzerwasel pass has been ridden three times in the men's Tour de France between 1967 and 2014. In the latter year, it was Purito Rodriguez who came out on top.

Km 68.7

METZERAL (Pop: 1,040)

Located between Metzeral and Mittlach, the Chêne-Millet national necropolis faces the Wormsa and the Hohneck. Created in 1920, it houses a cemetery from the First World War. It covers more than 14,000 m², and houses the bodies of 2,632 French soldiers, most of whom fell during the bloody Battle of Metzeral in 1915.

Km 96.6

HUSSEREN-WESSERLING

Exceptionally well preserved, the Parc de Wesserling - Ecomusée Textile is one of the rare European industrial sites able to show the public the different historical, social and technical strata of the textile industry from the 18th to the 21st century on 42 hectares of land and 100,000 m² of buildings.
For 250 years, Wesserling was a factory town of considerable size, occupying nearly 70 hectares of land and employing up to 5,000 people.
The Wesserling textile printing factory was founded in 1762 in a hunting lodge surrounded by beautiful gardens belonging to the prince abbots of Murbach, before becoming a royal factory in 1786. In 1860, no less than 5,479 people were employed by the Manufacture on the various production sites and for homework in the neighbouring villages. From 1933 to the mid-1970s, the Boussac group took over the printing factory. At its peak in the 1960s, more than 1,200 people were employed at the factory and 24 million metres of printed fabric were produced annually.
In the early 2000s, the site gradually declined and closed in 2003. Thanks to the mobilisation of citizens and local authorities, an ambitious project to safeguard the textile industrial heritage has been underway for 20 years. The community of municipalities is restoring the factories by transforming them into economic rental premises (a hundred or so SMEs are now based there). The Association de gestion et d'animation du Parc de Wesserling (AGAPTW) takes charge of the departmental property and develops a textile eco-museum and beautiful remarkable gardens, which welcome about 90,000 visitors per year. The park also hosts a supermarket, a media library, a music school, a theatre and artists' workshops.

Km 98.5

SAINT-AMARIN (Pop: 2,230)

In the 7th century, a monastery was founded in the area of Saint-Amarin (formerly called Doroangus) and a village was gradually created around it. For hundreds of years, this village has been a place of passage for the Romans to reach the neighbouring department (the Vosges). Saint-Amarin is still attached to some of its traditions such as the Christmas markets and the bonfires of St. John.
Its Serret museum evokes the fighting of the two world wars and local history.

Km 109.8

GOLDBACH-ALTENBACH (Pop: 290)

The commune, which is situated on a rocky spur, was born from the merger in 1972 of two of the highest communes in Alsace, Goldbach and Altenbach. The village lies at the foot of the ruins of the Freundstein castle, mentioned as early as 1297, and on the other side by chalets dominated by several peaks of the Vosges, above which hover the Ballon de Guebwiller or Grand Ballon and the Vieil Armand.
It is the birthplace of Catherine Hubscher, the wife of Marshal Lefebvre, a close friend of Napoleon I, known as "Madame Sans-Gêne" because of her outspokenness.

Km 119.5

Grand Ballon (1,424 m)

The highest point in the Vosges mountains, in the Alsace region and in the Haut-Rhin department, the Grand Ballon rises to 1,424 m. It has been ridden nine times by the men's Tour de France since 1969, when Lucien Van Impe was the first to conquer it. In 2019, Thomas De Gendt was leading at the summit.