Bar-le-Duc > Saint-Dié-des-Vosges
07/28/2022 - Stage 5 - 176 km - Flat
On the road
Departments : Ardennes, Aube, Marne, Haute-Marne, Meurthe-et-Moselle, Meuse, Moselle, Bas-Rhin, Haut-Rhin, Vosges
Population: 5.55 million
Area: 57,441 km2
Specialities: champagne, sauerkraut, Alsace wines, Nancy blood sausage, Rethel white sausage, flammekueche, kouglof, Ardennes ham, baba au rhum, mirabelle plum, quiche lorraine, madeleine of Commercy
Sports clubs: RC Strasbourg, Stade de Reims, FC Metz, AS Nancy-Lorraine, ESTAC Troyes, FC Mulhouse (football), SIG Strasbourg, SLUC Nancy Basket (basketball), Etoile Noire de Strasbourg, Scorpions de Mulhouse (ice hockey),
Competitions: Moselle Open, Strasbourg International Tennis Championships (tennis), Reims International Jumping, Boucles de la Marne, Stanislas Meeting, Colmar Marathon, Paris-Colmar (athletics)
Economy: automotive (PSA Mulhouse and Trémery, Renault in Batilly, Bugatti, Smart), steel (Arcelor Mittal in Florange), luxury goods (Lalique), aerospace (Clemessy in Mulhouse), railways, banks (Crédit Mutuel), agriculture, beer, winegrowing (Champagne, Alsatian wines) Tourism.
Festivals: Christmas markets in Strasbourg and Colmar, Saint-Nicolas festival in Nancy, Livre sur la place (books on the square bookfair) in Nancy, Colmar book fair, Saint-Louis book forum, RenaissanceS festival in Bar-le-Duc, medieval festival in Sedan, International geography festival in Saint-Dié-les-Vosges, Gérardmer Fantastic Film Festival.
Tourist sites: Stanislas Square in Nancy, Grande île in Strasbourg, Reims Cathedral, Basilica of Saint-Rémi and Archbishop's Palace of Tau in Reims, Basilica of ND de l'Epine, Citadels of Longwy and Neuf-Brisach, Champagne hillsides, Claude and Duval factory in Saint-Dié-les-Vosges, Unterlinden Museum in Colmar, Pompidou Centre in Metz, Ecole de Nancy, Christmas markets.
Department of Meuse
Population: 184,000 (2019)
Prefecture : Bar-le-Duc
Subprefectures : Verdun, Commercy
Area: 6,211 km2
Specialities : Madeleines of Commercy (delicacy) Dragees of Verdun (confectionery) Gooseberry seeded jams with goose feather from Bar-le-Duc (local tradition), Mirabelle plum (fruit and spirits), Craft beers (Charmoy, Nettancourt, Rarécourt, Chaillon, Dun, Morley), Côtes de Meuse wines (IGP), Strawberry sponge cake in Revigny-sur-Ornain, Brie de Meaux (cheese), Meuse truffle, Boucherie Polmard (meat), Bergère de France (textile), Essilor (optical)
Sports: Aerial: Aeronautics, Aeromodelling, Gliding, Microlighting, Hang-gliding. / Land: Cycling (Mountain biking, Cyclocross), Cycle touring (Meuse cycle tour), Horse riding, Mountain climbing, Motorcycling, Hiking, Triathlon. Water: Rowing, Canoeing, Sport fishing, Sailing, Underwater diving. Underground: Caving.
Competitions: Meuse Grande Guerre Half-Marathon, Verdun 10 km, Trail of the trenches, Féeria barisienne, Trail of the Dukes, Tour de Madine, Echappées en Meuse, la Route des Hommes, etc.
Festival: RenaissanceS Festival in Bar-le-Duc, Grand Festival in Verdun, Barn Festival in Laimont, Crib Festival in Muzeray, Forest Winds in Fresnes-au-Mont, sound and light show From Flames to Light in Verdun, Old Crafts of Azannes, Ma rue
Economy: Entrepreneurial dynamism: important craft industry and international openness, 4 sectors: agri-food, industry (aeronautics, energy and agriculture), chemistry and wood. Innovation in several sectors of activity: optics, agriculture, defence.
Websites and social networks: www.meuse.fr / twitter.com/deptmeuse / www.facebook.com/DepartementMeuse
www.tourisme-meuse.com / twitter.com/cdt55 / www.facebook.com/tourisme.meuse/
LONGEVILLE-EN-BARROIS (Pop: 1,200)
In 1897, the first diesel engine factory in France was set up in the village, by the Société française des moteurs Diesel à combustion interne, headed by the German engine manufacturer Rudolph Diesel.
Construction: 15th to 17th centuries.
Style: partly Renaissance.
Listing: listed as a historical monument in 1990
History: the church of Saint-Hilaire, which was built after the Hundred Years' War, is one of the so-called Baroque Renaissance churches. It has a Gothic porch and a bell tower with Renaissance details and a choir with vaulted ceilings, while still retaining a certain medieval heritage.
Special features: the interior is decorated with a carved pulpit, a listed gallery organ by Charles Didier-Van Caster (1903) and a statue of the martyrdom of Sebastian.
TRONVILLE-EN-BARROIS (Pop: 1,350)
After the 1870 war, the commune became an industrial centre when Alsatian company Goldenberg set up the Manufacture française d'outils. After the Second World War, the Rhovyl and Sodetal factories were established on the site and confirmed the industrial vocation of the commune until the closure of Sodetal in 2017.
Tronville has preserved traces of its oldest past: the town hall, located in the former Château du Tertre, is listed, as are its outbuildings. The fortified church of the Immaculate Conception is also listed.
Former Château du Tertre (town hall)
Listing: listed as a Historical Monument in 1998.
History: It was on the initiative of Charles du Tertre, a councillor at the Parliament of Metz, that the present castle was built in 1732 (date on the pediment). Sold as a national asset in 1795, the castle was bought back on 20 February 1859 by the commune, which turned it into a presbytery, then a tax collection office, until the town hall finally moved in on 2 November 1983.
Characteristics: preceded by a courtyard, which for a long time was bordered by a monumental entrance, of which a pavilion remains, the castle is a rectangular body of a single level, covered with a high slate roof with hips. Its main façade is built of ashlar with four high windows. Inside, three rooms have retained their character: the central hallway, with its white paving with black plugs, its panelling and its ceiling decorated with nine painted panels, the work of the painter Louis Yard, the adjoining panelled living room, with its fireplace and its large painted panel, the work of the same artist, and the dining room.
LIGNY-EN-BARROIS (Pop: 4,000)
From the 14th century onwards, Ligny was the seat of the Luxembourg-Ligny county, which finally became part of the Duchy of Lorraine in 1919. From its medieval past, the town has retained a defensive element, the Valéran Tower (13th and 14th centuries) and its Notre-Dame des Vertus church, in Gothic and Renaissance style (16th century). The Dukes of Lorraine left their mark on the town through monumental gates of which only the Porte de France and the Porte de Givrauval remain.
Construction: 13th and 14th centuries.
Listing: listed as a historical monument in 1840.
History: the construction of the tower began in the 13th century. It was completed during the reign of Valéran III de Nassau, Count of Ligny from 1374 to 1415. A key part of the city's defensive system, as evidenced by the archways, loopholes, gun ports and machicolations, it, along with the Cannon Tower, framed the Mill Gate, which was the only way to communicate with the outside world. It was transformed into a cantonal prison in the 17th century and remained so until 1840, when it was listed on the first list of Historical Monuments.
Church of Our Lady of Virtues
Construction: 16th century.
Style: Gothic and Renaissance.
Listing: listed as a historical monument in 1928.
History: the first parish church, dating from the 12th-14th centuries, was destroyed in 1544 and the present one was rebuilt in 1552, in a Gothic style marked by Renaissance forms on the two side portals. The two side chapels and the main portal date from the 19th century. It is topped by a square bell tower with a bronze bell from 1505. The church was listed as a historical monument on December 28, 1928. One of the side chapels contains a silk painting of Notre-Dame-des-Vertus, which is much venerated in Ligny and throughout the Barrois region. The origin and dating of this work are uncertain. The church houses the graves of the Luxembourg-Ligny lineage.
NAIX-AUX-FORGES (Pop: 230)
The city of Naix - from the Latin Nasium - arose from the relocation of the oppidum of Boviolles, occupied by the Gallic people of the Leucs, to the nearby valley and developed rapidly from the beginning of the Roman occupation. This Gallo-Roman town, whose remains are currently spread over the territory of three villages, is currently the subject of numerous archaeological studies and investigations and provides many arguments for considering and classifying it as the chief town of the High Empire.
Foundation: 1st century BC
Style: Gallo-Roman city.
Listing: listed as a historical monument in 1862.
History: the Roman town of Nasium developed at the end of the 1st century BC below the oppidum of Boviolles, at the confluence of the Ornain and Barboure rivers. During its maximum extension, the agglomeration acquired a significant monumental apparatus and reached a surface area of 120 ha, which makes it, along with Metz, the major ancient city of present-day Lorraine. In the 2nd century, geographer Ptolemy described Nasium as the "city of the Leucs".
BOVIOLLES (Pop: 100)
Remarkable for its Gallic oppidum, listed as a historical monument in 1994.
The oppidum of Boviolles is situated on a vast rocky hill dominating the present-day agglomeration. Covering an area of about 50 ha, it is enclosed by an imposing rampart of the murus gallicus type, the remains of which can still be seen. The most important occupation was in the 1st century B.C.: it was undoubtedly a real city, with its streets, houses, shops and craftsmen's quarters, which was built at that time.
The inhabitants maintained continuous commercial relations with their neighbours and with Roman Italy: numerous wine amphorae, ceramics from Etruria and Campania have been discovered, as well as coins from a large part of Gaul.
MAUVAGES (Pop: 250)
During the first half of the 19th century a great wave of sanitation affected the Meuse countryside and many villages vied with each other in ambition and originality in the construction of fountains and washhouses. Mauvages has about ten of them. The most famous is the fountain-washhouse of Déo. The church of Saint-Pantaléon also houses a monumental fresco from 1547, Ecce Homo, which has been listed since 1988.
Fountain-washhouse of Deo
Listing: listed as a historical monument in 1988.
History and characteristics: with a semicircular plan, it was built by Bar-based architect Théodore Oudet in 1831. At the same time, another wave of Egyptomania hit the country, stimulated both by Bonaparte's campaign in Egypt and the work of Champollion, and architects and engineers readily drew inspiration from it. In Mauvages, Oudet was inspired by two Parisian buildings to create the Déo fountain. The central statue represents Antinous, favourite of the Emperor Hadrian.
Sub-prefectures: Lunéville, Toul and Briey
Surface area: 5,246 km².
Specialities: bergamots (confectionery made with bergamot essence, same perfume as Cologne), macaroons from the Macaron sisters, mirabelle plums, baba au rhum (invented at the request of King Stanislas who could no longer eat dry cakes), saint Epvre (cake), pâté lorrain, quiche lorraine, bouchée à la reine.
Sports clubs: AS Nancy Lorraine (football), Stade Lorrain Université Club Nancy Basket (Pro B basketball), Grand Nancy Métropole Hand Ball, Vandœuvre Nancy Volley Ball, Grand Nancy Volley Ball
Competitions: Stanislas athletics meeting, Nancy-Metz walking race, Saint-Nicolas race. Greater Nancy half-marathon.
Economy: steel, mining, finance and law, construction, logistics and trade, business tourism, cultural industries, digital economy, materials, health engineering. Tourism. Universities.
Sights: Stanislas Square in Nancy, Villa Majorelle, École de Nancy heritage, Château de Lunéville, Saint-Nicolas-de-Port basilica, Longwy ramparts, Rosières-aux-Salines national stud farm, Pont-à-Mousson abbey.
Festivals: Nancy Jazz Pulsations, Nancyphonies, Livre sur la Place book fair. Saint Nicolas Festival. Festival of Froville. EuroBD Festival in Longwy.
ALLAMPS (Pop: 500)
In the municipality there is a glass factory founded in 1765, which was bought by the Daum crystal factory in Nancy in 1986. It produces glassware under the Daum and Cristal de Sèvres brands.
VÉZELISE (Pop: 1,400)
Vézelise was the former capital of the county of Vaudémont and the preferred place of residence of the counts of Vaudémont.
The wooden halls dating from the 16th century (but their first existence goes back to the 13th century), built by Nicolas La Hière under the order of Duke Charles III; they were damaged during a bombardment on June 15, 1940, but were restored to their original state. The covered market, the town hall and the courtroom, known as the auditorium, have been listed as historical monuments since 1942.
The church of Saints Como and Damian (15th and 16th century) has also been listed since 1907.
GRIPPORT (Pop: 270)
The Canal de l'Est links the Meuse and Moselle rivers to the Saône. It begins at Givet in Champagne-Ardenne, merges with the Marne-Rhine canal for 20 kilometres as it crosses Lorraine and ends at Corre in Franche-Comté. Built1 between 1874 and 1882, its total length is 439 kilometres.
Prefecture : Épinal
Sub-prefectures : Neufchâteau, Saint-Dié-des-Vosges
Area: 5,874 km2
Specialities: Munster gérômé, tofailles, fumé, blueberry pie, Vosges sweets, fruit and flower crus, Vosges honey, Val d'Ajol andouille, Plombières ice cream, Vosges salad.
Sports clubs: EHC (Epinal Hockey Club), SAS Football, Epinal Handball, SAS Volley, Les Louves de Saint-Dié (volleyball), ASR Table Tennis Etival-Raon, ASGE Basket, GESN canoe-kayak.
Competitions: Granfondo Vosges, Open 88 Grand Est, Michelin Enduro des Hautes Vosges, XTerra France in Xonrupt-Longemer, Triathlon of Gérardmer, Infernal Trail des Vosges de Saint Nabord, Trail de la Vallée des Lacs, Aquathlon of Vittel, XCO and Downhill Mountain Bike World Cups in La Bresse, 2021 French Cycling Championships in Épinal. Sportsmen and women : Julien Absalon, Rémy Absalon, Nacer Bouhanni, Steve Chainel, Clément Noël, Romain Febvre, Fabien Claude, Emilien Claude, Florent Claude, Paula Botet, Sarah Vieuille, Pauline Ferrand-Prévot.
Tourist sites: "Visages de Jehanne" interpretation centre in Domrémy-la-Pucelle, Joan of Arc House and the Basilica of Bois Chenu, Gallo-Roman archaeological site of Grand, People’s Theatre in Bussang, Imagerie d’Epinal, Hautes Mynes in Le Thillot, the Abbeys of Saint-Dié-des-Vosges, Le Tétras 1139 at Col de la Schlucht and its interpretation centre, and the René Pottier Stele in Saint Maurice sur Moselle. 4 thermal spas: Bains-les-Bains, Contrexéville, Plombières-les-Bains and Vittel. Skiing in Gérardmer and La Bresse.
Festivals: International Geography Festival in Saint-Dié, Les Imaginales (festival of imaginary worlds) in Epinal, Fantastic'art Festival (fantasy film) and Daffodil Festival in Gérardmer, Festival of the Abbeys of Senones, Moyenmoutier and Etival, of Saint-Dié today's cathedral and of Autrey Abbey, Joan of Arc Festival in Domrémy.
Economy: industrial nuggets in the field of wood and paper such as Henryot & Cie and the famous paper manufacturer Clairefontaine in Etival. Numerous craftsmen, including the craftsmen and luthiers of Mirecourt. More recent companies such as IN'BÔ, at the forefront of the manufacture of wooden glasses, skateboards and bamboo bicycles using local and bio-sourced resources. The textile industry is also renowned in the Vosges (Garnier-Thiébaut, Jaquard Français, etc.). The Vosges department has developed the Je Vois la Vie en Vosges brand.
Websites and social networks :
CHARMES (Pop: 4,900)
In the 10th century, to protect themselves from the Hungarian raids that were ravaging the region, the Counts of Toul built a fortified castle in Charmes. During the Thirty Years' War, in 1633, Richelieu and Charles IV of Lorraine signed the Treaty of Charmes in the Maison du Chaldron, which today houses the House of Culture and Tourism. However, Charles IV quickly took up arms again. In retaliation, the French burned Charmes in 1635. This was followed by the dismantling of the fortifications, although some remains subsist today.
During the First World War, the Battle of Charmes was a key victory against Germany.
For 107 years, from 1864 to 1971, the town of Charmes brewed many beers including Kanterbrau and was one of the largest French breweries producing 70,000 hectolitres of beer annually.
It is also the town of the writer and politician Maurice Barrès, a leading thinker of the French nationalist right in the inter-war period. His house is still visible. Finally, former socialist minister Ségolène Royal spent part of her adolescence in Charmes.
PORTIEUX (Pop: 1,240)
For three centuries, from 1705 to 2014, the town was home to one of the largest crystal factories in France, Cristallerie de Portieux. Over the centuries, the crystal works has worked for Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, writer George Sand, the Ritz and Kazakhstan. At its peak, it employed some 1,200 people. In 2005, the workers made 2,000 two-tone glasses for Elton John's wedding.
In bankruptcy, the site was replaced by an eco-museum retracing the history and know-how of the crystal factory and by a shop.
RAMBERVILLERS (Pop: 5,000)
In the 13th century, the town, which depended on the bishops of Metz, was equipped with fortifications dotted with 24 towers. Rambervillers became French in 1552 and then suffered from the Wars of Religion, returning to the Duchy of Lorraine, but from 1766, like the whole region, the town continued to prosper (agriculture, exploitation of the Vosges forests, trade) and returned to the kingdom of France.
The city has hosted the Tour de l'Avenir three times (2001, 2004, 2011). It is also the birthplace of Laurent Genty, who took part in the 1996 and 1997 Tours de France.
Characteristics: it is a massive building. On the main façade can be seen the semi-circular arches with pilasters topped by capitals decorated with allegories and a happy grid of Renaissance windows. In the inner courtyard, the distribution tower and its spiral staircase, unique in the region, should not be missed.
Listing: listed as a historical monument in 1900.
Saint Lucia Castle
Foundation: built in the 19th century.
Features: Three storeys, high slate roof and two square towers.
History: the castle was built by the Viscount of Bolémont in 1876 as a wedding present for his future wife. The castle is not currently listed or listed as a historical monument.
Foundation: built in the 16th century.
Style: Flamboyant Gothic.
History: modified in the 18th century. The organ was built by Jean Nicolas III Jean Pierre in 1850 and the instrumental part was listed in 1981. The church, with its imposing appearance, houses ancient graves, beautifully crafted paintings and a listed organ.
The story: The church is named after the first martyr in Lorraine.
Listing: listed as a historical monument in 1986.
JEANMÉNIL (Pop: 1,120)
The family theme park Fraispertuis-City is located in the commune. Opened in 1966 by the Fleurent family, which still owns it, its main theme is the American West. It was elected "best French family park" in 2004 and is the leading paying tourist destination in the Vosges.
NOMPATELIZE (Pop: 540)
The Battle of Nompatelize took place on 6 October 1870 during the Franco-Prussian War, on the left bank of the Meurthe, between the villages of Nompatelize, La Bourgonce and Saint-Michel-sur-Meurthe, in front of the passes of Chipotte and Haut du Bois. The fighting resulted in around 2,000 deaths.
Nompatelize was again the object of bitter fighting during the two world wars.