Saint-Dié-des-Vosges > Rosheim
07/29/2022 - Stage 6 - 129 km - Hilly
On the road
Departments : Ardennes, Aube, Marne, Haute-Marne, Meurthe-et-Moselle, Meuse, Moselle, Bas-Rhin, Haut-Rhin, Vosges
Population: 5.55 million
Area: 57,441 km2
Specialities: champagne, sauerkraut, Alsace wines, Nancy blood sausage, Rethel white sausage, flammekueche, kouglof, Ardennes ham, baba au rhum, mirabelle plum, quiche lorraine, madeleine of Commercy
Sports clubs: RC Strasbourg, Stade de Reims, FC Metz, AS Nancy-Lorraine, ESTAC Troyes, FC Mulhouse (football), SIG Strasbourg, SLUC Nancy Basket (basketball), Etoile Noire de Strasbourg, Scorpions de Mulhouse (ice hockey),
Competitions: Moselle Open, Strasbourg International Tennis Championships (tennis), Reims International Jumping, Boucles de la Marne, Stanislas Meeting, Colmar Marathon, Paris-Colmar (athletics)
Economy: automotive (PSA Mulhouse and Trémery, Renault in Batilly, Bugatti, Smart), steel (Arcelor Mittal in Florange), luxury goods (Lalique), aerospace (Clemessy in Mulhouse), railways, banks (Crédit Mutuel), agriculture, beer, winegrowing (Champagne, Alsatian wines) Tourism.
Festivals: Christmas markets in Strasbourg and Colmar, Saint-Nicolas festival in Nancy, Livre sur la place (books on the square bookfair) in Nancy, Colmar book fair, Saint-Louis book forum, RenaissanceS festival in Bar-le-Duc, medieval festival in Sedan, International geography festival in Saint-Dié-les-Vosges, Gérardmer Fantastic Film Festival.
Tourist sites: Stanislas Square in Nancy, Grande île in Strasbourg, Reims Cathedral, Basilica of Saint-Rémi and Archbishop's Palace of Tau in Reims, Basilica of ND de l'Epine, Citadels of Longwy and Neuf-Brisach, Champagne hillsides, Claude and Duval factory in Saint-Dié-les-Vosges, Unterlinden Museum in Colmar, Pompidou Centre in Metz, Ecole de Nancy, Christmas markets.
Prefecture : Épinal
Sub-prefectures : Neufchâteau, Saint-Dié-des-Vosges
Area: 5,874 km2
Specialities: Munster gérômé, tofailles, fumé, blueberry pie, Vosges sweets, fruit and flower crus, Vosges honey, Val d'Ajol andouille, Plombières ice cream, Vosges salad.
Sports clubs: EHC (Epinal Hockey Club), SAS Football, Epinal Handball, SAS Volley, Les Louves de Saint-Dié (volleyball), ASR Table Tennis Etival-Raon, ASGE Basket, GESN canoe-kayak.
Competitions: Granfondo Vosges, Open 88 Grand Est, Michelin Enduro des Hautes Vosges, XTerra France in Xonrupt-Longemer, Triathlon of Gérardmer, Infernal Trail des Vosges de Saint Nabord, Trail de la Vallée des Lacs, Aquathlon of Vittel, XCO and Downhill Mountain Bike World Cups in La Bresse, 2021 French Cycling Championships in Épinal. Sportsmen and women : Julien Absalon, Rémy Absalon, Nacer Bouhanni, Steve Chainel, Clément Noël, Romain Febvre, Fabien Claude, Emilien Claude, Florent Claude, Paula Botet, Sarah Vieuille, Pauline Ferrand-Prévot.
Tourist sites: "Visages de Jehanne" interpretation centre in Domrémy-la-Pucelle, Joan of Arc House and the Basilica of Bois Chenu, Gallo-Roman archaeological site of Grand, People’s Theatre in Bussang, Imagerie d’Epinal, Hautes Mynes in Le Thillot, the Abbeys of Saint-Dié-des-Vosges, Le Tétras 1139 at Col de la Schlucht and its interpretation centre, and the René Pottier Stele in Saint Maurice sur Moselle. 4 thermal spas: Bains-les-Bains, Contrexéville, Plombières-les-Bains and Vittel. Skiing in Gérardmer and La Bresse.
Festivals: International Geography Festival in Saint-Dié, Les Imaginales (festival of imaginary worlds) in Epinal, Fantastic'art Festival (fantasy film) and Daffodil Festival in Gérardmer, Festival of the Abbeys of Senones, Moyenmoutier and Etival, of Saint-Dié today's cathedral and of Autrey Abbey, Joan of Arc Festival in Domrémy.
Economy: industrial nuggets in the field of wood and paper such as Henryot & Cie and the famous paper manufacturer Clairefontaine in Etival. Numerous craftsmen, including the craftsmen and luthiers of Mirecourt. More recent companies such as IN'BÔ, at the forefront of the manufacture of wooden glasses, skateboards and bamboo bicycles using local and bio-sourced resources. The textile industry is also renowned in the Vosges (Garnier-Thiébaut, Jaquard Français, etc.). The Vosges department has developed the Je Vois la Vie en Vosges brand.
Websites and social networks :
NEUVILLERS-SUR-FAVE (Pop: 350)
Franco-German military cemetery of Bertrimoutier
It is in fact two adjoining cemeteries from the First World War: the Bertrimoutier National Necropolis, which is a French military cemetery, and the German military cemetery. There are 7,699 graves, 966 individual graves of French soldiers, as well as 12 graves of Russian soldiers and the grave of an unknown Romanian soldier. The German cemetery contains the graves of 6,749 German soldiers, of whom 4,163 are unknown and buried in ossuaries.
PROVENCHÈRES-SUR-FAVE (Pop : 890)
St. Catherine's Church
Construction: 12th to 18th century.
Listing: listed as a historical monument in 1995.
History: the church, of Romanesque foundation, was rebuilt at the beginning of the 18th century. The 12th-century tower was raised and topped with a bulb in 1712. The bulb was built by Polish carpenters brought in by Stanislaw I, King of Poland and Duke of Lorraine. The bell tower of the building is listed as a historical monument by order of January 30, 1995.
Department of Bas-Rhin (67)
Sub-prefectures: Haguenau, Molsheim, Saverne, Sélestat
Area: 4,755 km2
Specialities: sauerkraut, Alsace white wines, baeckaoffe, fleischnaka (pasta), Dampfnüdle (bread rolls), eierkuchen (pancakes), tarte flambée, cherries, asparagus, horseradish.
Major clubs: RC Strasbourg (football), SIG Strasbourg (basketball), Etoile Noire (hockey), Entente Strasbourg Schiltigheim Alsace Handball.
Competitions: Strasbourg International Tennis Tournament, Strasbourg races, 11 km of Obernai,
Festivals: Strasbourg Christmas market. Europe Festival, Résonances Fair, Strasbourg Fantastic Film Festival, Biobernai, Haguenau Hop Festival, Summerlied Festival in Ohlungen, Rencontres internationales du cinéma d'animation in Wissembourg,
Sights: Strasbourg Cathedral, Mount Saint-Odile, Haut-Koenigsburg Castle, Flekenstein Castle, Lichtenberg Castle, Strasbourg Museums, Lalique Museum.
Economy: the economy is very diversified with a preponderance of services. The main employers are the Crédit Mutuel, the SNCF, Auchan, the Post Office, the Schaeffler group (Haguenau), Würth (tools) and Hager Electro. Tourism. Universities. Agriculture.
Websites and social networks :
URBEIS (Pop: 320)
Urbeis has been an important mining centre since the 16th century. Miners worked in more than a dozen mines extracting copper, lead and especially silver.
The history of Le Climont (970 m) is closely linked to that of the arrival of the Anabaptists, a pacifist Protestant community, who cleared the entire forest to settle in this peaceful and wild area, out of sight. It was the Zurlauben family, who in 1681 received the lordship of Villé and their successors, the Choiseul-Meuse family, who brought the Anabaptists from Switzerland.
Construction: 13th and 14th century.
Listing: listed as a historical monument in 1898 and 1930 (ruins).
History: mentioned for the first time in 1206, the castle had multiple roles, being a place of residence as well as a fortress in charge of the defence of the Alsace-Lorraine axis as well as the protection of the surrounding mines. It was also used as a prison, then as a quarry during the French Revolution. The work is part of the turning point in the feudal construction system and was listed as a Historic Monument in 1898 and again in 1930.
It should not be confused with the castle of Bilstein-Aubure near Riquewihr (Haut-Rhin).
FOUCHY (Pop: 640)
The village of Fouchy has five forest trails dedicated to the valley's heritage. Thanks to the support of the community of communes of the Val de Villé and the support of the general and regional councils, Fouchy now has a trail dedicated to the predominant material of its history and heritage: wood. Six coloured panels detailing the walks have been designed for this purpose.
VILLÉ (Pop: 1,800)
Located 15 km from Sélestat on the eastern slopes of the Vosges mountains, Villé is the administrative, economic and commercial centre of a canton made up of 18 villages scattered over a hilly region. The Giessen, which irrigates the town, is a left-hand tributary of the Ill. The village is located at a strategic point in the Val de Villé, i.e. at the junction of the wide, open fore-valley and the two upper valleys that lead to the Steige and Urbeis passes. The village, once fortified, thus controls the passages between the Alsace plain and Lorraine. Its 18th century church, Notre-Dame de l'Assomption, is a listed building, as is its "bourgeois cemetery" with its spectacular tombs.
It is the birthplace of René Bittinger, winner of the first stage of the 1979 Tour de France. He took part in the Tour de France six times, finishing in the top twenty (19th) in 1978.
SAINT-PIERRE-BOIS (Pop: 760)
7 km away, in Dambach-la-Ville
Construction: 12th century
Listing: listed as a historical monument in 1932.
History: the castle is one of the oldest fortresses in Alsace, if not the oldest. It is mentioned for the first time around 1009. The current ruins are much later and date from the end of the 12th or beginning of the 13th century. The Bernstein originally belonged to the Counts of Eguisheim-Dabo before coming under the control of the Bishop of Strasbourg, who abandoned it at the end of the 16th century.
9 km away, in Scherwiller:
Construction: 13th century.
Listing: listed as a historical monument in 1924 (ruins).
Situation: the Ortenbourg (or Ortenberg) is, with the Ramstein, one of the two castles which dominate the commune of Scherwiller, at the entrance to the Villé valley. The ruins of the castle stand on a rocky outcrop at an altitude of 437 m. The two castles have been listed as historical monuments since July 1924.
History: it takes its name from the Ortenberg family, present in Scherwiller since the 10th century. The castle belonged successively to the Habsburgs, the Müllenheims and the Choiseul family before becoming the property of the municipality of Scherwiller.
Characteristics: built in smooth and white granite from the second half of the 13th century, it is a fine example of the military architecture of medieval Alsace. It still has a pentagonal keep, built around 1265, 32-m high and partly protected, at the level of the ditch, by a 17-m long jacket with five defence levels, and a lordly dwelling with Gothic windows.
MITTELBERGHEIM (Pop: 620)
Located on the wine route and the Véloroute of the Alsace vineyards (EuroVélo 5), Mittelbergheim is listed as one of the Most Beautiful Villages in France.
Between 1540 and 1630, the main part of the village of stone houses as it stands today was built in the style of the German Renaissance. Within a hundred years, almost all the small medieval houses were replaced by large stone houses. The houses are high, with one or two storeys of living space and two or three storeys of attic space, and are open to the outside world through numerous windows, both on the street gable and on the courtyard façade. The village of Mittelbergheim is unique in Alsace for the number of houses from this period still standing (80 in all) and their good state of preservation.
BARR (Pop: 7,200)
A picturesque little town at the foot of Mont Sainte-Odile, situated at an altitude of 200 m at the mouth of the Saint-Ulrich valley and at the foot of the Kirchberg and Altenberg hills, Barr owes its prosperity to its forest, vineyards and tourism.
Barr is the wine capital of the Bas-Rhin. Its vineyards climb the slopes bordering the Kirneck valley, marked by the little white house perched high up. The famous Grand Cru du Kirchberg can be found here.
The old town centre has recently regained its authenticity: pedestrian streets to discover the half-timbered houses, the carved stones of the porches, the courtyards with wooden galleries... These cobbled streets, as well as the lively squares, the paths through the vineyards and the forest, allow you to appreciate the services of a town in the countryside.
Folie Marco Museum
Foundation: 1763 (building), 1964 (museum).
Listing: listed as a historical monument in 1935.
Characteristics: the Folie Marco museum is a municipal museum of decorative arts; housed in an 18th century patrician residence, it houses collections of Alsatian bourgeois furniture from the 17th to the 19th century. Completed in 1763, the building has been partially listed as a historical monument since 1935 and the museum, founded in June 1964, has the "Musée de France" label.
Alsace vineyard cycle route
The Wine Route, a capricious ribbon that runs along the eastern slopes of the Vosges, winds its way quietly along the mountainside, crossing a hundred or so wine-producing communes and passing through some fifty A.O.C. Alsace Grand Cru vineyards. Traced in parallel, the Véloroute du Vignoble takes old railway lines, portions of the old Roman road, as well as numerous paths between the vineyards. It crosses a postcard landscape: ruins of medieval castles, flowery villages, Roman abbeys, undulating vineyards, welcoming winstubs...
HEILIGENSTEIN (Pop: 950)
The village is known for its wine-growing activity and especially for its unique grape variety in Alsace, the Klevener. The vine was introduced by the Romans in the 3rd century and gradually became the main industry of the area. Today, Heiligenstein produces an AOC Alsace white wine that has always attracted visitors. The village was sadly illustrated in the 16th century with a peasant revolt that ended in bloodshed and violence.
Heiligenstein is now an important place for Alsatian tourism thanks to its ideal geographical location and its interesting architectural heritage.
The Landsberg castle is a former castle from the end of the 12th century, now in ruins. While walking in the commune, one can also discover the ruins of the abbey of Truttenhausen, in the old church and the dependences of the 12th century, registered with the Historic buildings.
Mount St. Odile
Mount Sainte-Odile, which rises to 764 m, offers a panoramic view of the Alsace plain. It is a natural and archaeological environment, in the midst of marked hiking trails, spaces for reflection, seminars and conviviality. A major pilgrimage site dedicated to St. Odile, the patron saint of Alsatians, the convent of Mount St. Odile is one of the most important sites in Alsace. The tomb of Saint Odile, the chapels of the Tears and the Angels, the panoramic terrace and the miraculous spring can be seen there. Odile, daughter of Etichon (or Adalric) Duke of Alsace, was born blind. Rejected by her father, she was hidden in a monastery in Burgundy and recovered her sight on the day of her baptism. Her brother Hugh brought her back, but when Etichon wanted to marry her off to a young prince, she escaped. Miraculously, a rock opened in front of her. Etichon gave in and founded the convent of Hohenbourg for his daughter, of which Odile was the first abbess. The Pagan Wall is an 11 km long enclosure that runs around the plateau of Mount St. Odile. It is made up of approximately 300,000 cyclopean blocks, is between 1.60 m and 1.80 m wide and can reach a height of three metres. Its controversial origins are the source of many tales and legends.
Construction: 12th to 15th century.
Listing: listed as a historical monument in 1965.
History: around 1197-1200, Conrad de Vienhege, a knight, built the Landsberg castle, from which it took its name, on land he had obtained from the abbess of Nierdermunster. Around 1235, it was extended to the north-west by a new castle with a curtain wall flanked by two circular towers, two dwellings and a vast bailey. Towards the end of the 15th century, the dilapidated castle was remodelled and adapted to firearms. The castle was intended to defend the abbeys of Hohenbourg (on Mont Sainte-Odile), Niedermunster, Truttenhausen and Andlau.
OTTROTT (Pop: 1,540)
Until 1858, the village was divided into two distinct communes: Ottrott-le-Haut depended on the bishopric of Strasbourg, while Ottrott-le-Bas was under the influence of the Holy Roman Empire. The two churches and the castles bear witness to this former division.
There are no less than nine medieval castles in the municipality, most of which are in ruins: Altkeller, Birkenfels, Dreistein, Hagelschloss, Kagenfels, Koepfel, Bas-Ottrott, Lutzelbourg, Rathsamhausen and Windeck, almost all of which were built in the 13th century and are either listed or listed as historical monuments.
The Rathsamhausen to the west of the site and the Lutzelbourg to the east are most often referred to as the "Ostrott castles". Both ruins, 500 metres apart, probably originate from an early castle.
KLINGENTHAL (Pop: 600)
Klingenthal, literally "Valley of the Blades" (the "blades" being those of the swords and sabres formerly made on the spot) is a village created from scratch in1730, when a sword factory was established by Louis XV. The factory operated for a century, then its activity was transferred to Châtellerault. Nevertheless, from 1838 to 1962, the village continued to manufacture weapons and edged tools for the private account of the Coulaux company.
Traces of this mono-industry can be found throughout the village: forge workshops (ground floor) on dwellings (first floor), honeyshops, water mills, retention basins and canal system, right up to the public facilities (school, church, temple).
Klingenthal has traditionally made the swords of the members of the French Academy.
The castle of the factory, built in 1732, is now used for seminars.
LUTZELHOUSE (Pop: 1,900)
A geological curiosity dominating the Bruche valley, the Grande Côte Ante is considered by some to be one of the oldest Celtic places of worship in Alsace. This summit, nicknamed "the Garden of the Fairies", has a curious circular enclosure and the remains of a cromlech where, according to legend, the fairies came to dance at night. They are said to have built a gigantic bridge to span the valley, as shown by the many sandstone blocks scattered on the heights. But this work could not be completed because the magical power of the fairies stopped too soon.
NIEDERHASLACH (Pop: 1,900)
In the past, the Hasel valley contained only one village, called Haslach. It originated with the monastery of Haslach which, according to tradition, Saint Florent founded in the 7th century. The monastery became a collegiate church, which was plundered and ransacked many times before its rehabilitation in the 19th century.
Former collegiate church of Saint Florent
Construction: 13th century.
Listing: listed as a historical monument in 1846.
Characteristics: The three-aisled collegiate church of Saint Florent in Niederhaslach (today the parish church of Saint-Jean Baptiste) is one of the most representative sacred buildings of Gothic architecture in the Lower Rhine region outside Strasbourg. It owes its origin to St Florent, bishop of Strasbourg in the 7th century, who, according to tradition, founded the Benedictine monastery of Haslach.
History: The church, dedicated to St. Florent, was built from 1274 on the site of a 7th-century building which served as a shrine for the relics of the founding saint. Construction continued until 1385, slowed down by two accidents: a fire in 1287 and the accidental death of architect Gerlach von Steinbach in 1330. The church was looted in 1525 during the Peasants' War and burned down by Swedish soldiers who ransacked the village in 1633 during the Thirty Years' War. The building was then diverted from its original purpose and used briefly as a coach house and slaughterhouse. During the Revolution, the Chapter's property was confiscated and sold. The building was only restored to its original splendour between 1853 and 1870 by Émile Boeswillwald, architect of the Historical Monuments. In 1990 a new overall renovation began, which was completed in 2006.
GRESSWILLER (Pop: 1,660)
Installed in the school's multi-purpose room, next to the church, an extraordinary mechanical model shows the real movements of the various planets around the Sun and the Moon around the Earth. It is a nice cultural walk, where astonishment and questioning are guaranteed, whatever the age of the visitor.
BISCHOFFSHEIM (Pop: 3,300)
Foundation: 16th century
Listing: listed as a historical monument in 1984.
Characteristics: The Bischenberg convent stands on the hill overlooking the village of Bischoffsheim. It is a pilgrimage to the Virgin Mary, its chapel is dedicated to Our Lady of Seven Sorrows. The earliest written record of a chapel at this place dates from 1505. A community of Redemptorist Fathers and Brothers, assisted by volunteers, run the site.
A special feature of the convent is the 15th century polychrome wooden Pieta, which has been listed since 1980.
BOERSCH (Pop: 2,450)
In a green setting, between vineyards and hills, Boersch hides some Renaissance treasures. The Town Hall and its spiral staircase housed in a turret are not to be missed. A well with six buckets, dated 1617, completes this remarkable ensemble. But Boersch also retains a medieval aspect in many respects, notably the ramparts and gates (1340). As you walk through the streets and alleys, you come across half-timbered houses with their many trade emblems, for example the former house of the Teutonic Knights (1499).