UNVEILING OF THE ROUTES FOR 2023

The unveiling of the routes for the 2023 Tour de France and Tour de France Femmes avec Zwift will take place on Thursday 27th October from 11.30 (UTC+2) at the Palais des Congrès convention centre in Paris.

BAR-SUR-AUBE

Sub-prefecture of Aube (10)
Population: 4,800 (Baralbin.e.s)
Specialities: Brienne sauerkraut, champagne savayon.
Personalities: Gaston Bachelard (philosopher), Marinette Pichon (football, 112 caps for France).
Sport: Bar-sur-Aube FC (football), birthplace of Marinette Pichon. Cycling night in Bar-sur-Aube.
Economy: The hemp industry is highly developed in Bar-sur-Aube, and has been growing steadily for several years. Furniture manufacturing: Aube Bedding (Adova group). Metal processing (forging, machining) for aeronautics, armaments, agricultural machinery, medicine (prostheses), etc. Lisi Aerospace.
Heritage: Saint-Pierre and Saint-Maclou churches, town hall, Hôtel des Comtes de Brienne, town houses and listed town houses in the old centre.
Festivals: Cheese Fair (June), Eurythmics Festival (June), Jazzàbar Festival (September)
Cycling: cycling night (47e edition).
Labels: flower city 
Websites / FB / Twitter :

© Ville de Bar-sur-Aube
© Ville de Bar-sur-Aube
© Ville de Bar-sur-Aube

BAR-SUR-AUBE AND CYCLING

The ancient Segessera, which boasts an amazing wooden gallery around the church of Saint-Pierre, designed to house the merchants of its great medieval fairs, is the French capital of hemp and the home of the philosopher Gaston Bachelard. Bar-sur-Aube has been vibrating on two wheels for almost half a century, towards the end of July, to the rhythm of its renowned and frantic cycling night. But the bicycle has suddenly extended its hold on the city of Bar-sur-Aube with, one after the other, a stage of the Tour de l'Avenir, last August, and then, in 2022, the Tour de France Femmes with Zwift.


SIGHTS:

St. Peter's Church
Construction: 12th, 16th and 19th centuries.
Style: Gothic.
Listing: listed as a historical monument in 1840.
Characteristics: it is mainly from the 12th century, the chapels from the 16th century, the vaults of the apse and the choir from the 19th century. It is famous for its halloy. This wooden portico, which extends over the south and west of the building, was used for fairs but also as a burial place, as attested by the parish registers.
History: It was founded by Count Nocher and his wife Adelise and was united with the chapter of Saint-Maclou of Bar-sur-Aube in 1378. The bell tower was struck by lightning on May 24, 1706 and badly damaged, with all seven bells destroyed.

Saint-Maclou Church
Construction: 12th to 18th centuries.
Style: Gothic
Listing: listed as a historical monument in 1840.
Features: The church was badly damaged during the Second World War and is not open to visitors. Its bell tower, a former keep, is the only remnant of the castle.
History: the Saint-Maclou chapter of Bar-sur-Aube was founded by the Count of Champagne Henry I the Liberal, in the parish church of Saint-Maclou, within the walls of the new castle. Originally, it consisted of twenty-nine canons. In October 1471, King Louis XI confirmed the privileges of the chapter of Saint-Maclou de Bar in his letters patent.

City Hall
Construction: 17th century.
Listing: listed as a historical monument in 1972.
History: this is the former convent of the Ursulines who settled here in 1634 or 1643. Confiscated during the Revolution, one part was demolished, the other used as a prison. In 1814, the prisoners set fire to it. Restored, it is currently used as the town hall.

Hotek of gthe Counts of Brienne
Construction: 16th to 18th centuries.
Listing: listed as a historical monument in 1972.
Current use: as the city's Albert Gabriel media library.

In Ville-sous-la-Ferté (15 km)

Clairvaux Abbey
Foundation: 1115
Construction: 12th to 18th century.
Style: Gothic
Listing: listed as a historical monument in 1981 and 1999.
Characteristics: The buildings visible to the general public are the children's prison, the monks' refectory and the large cloister of classical architecture. They belong to the Ministry of Culture.
History: founded in 1115 by Bernard of Clairvaux and a few companions sent by the abbey of Cîteaux. Faced with the influx of vocations, the abbey, which had become too small, was moved from 1135 onwards 400 metres to the east of the original site. Bernard's charisma and the reputation of Clairvaux attracted recruits from all over Europe: between 1115 and 1153, 888 monks passed through Clairvaux, including a future pope, Eugene III. The new monastery was unfinished when Bernard died on 20 August 1153. Along with La Ferté, Pontigny, and Morimond it forms the group of primary abbeys of Cîteaux, itself the very first abbey of the Cistercian order. It is by far the most prolific, with eighty daughter abbeys. It was suppressed during the French Revolution.
Current use: since 1808, the abbey buildings, bought by the State, have been occupied by a French penal institution, the Maison Centrale of Clairvaux. The prison was then rebuilt in 1971 on the site of the abbey church and the conventual buildings, owned by the Ministries of Justice and Culture, are now open to visitors.

© Ville de Bar-sur-Aube
© Ville de Bar-sur-Aube
© Ville de Bar-sur-Aube
© Creative Commons 2.5/Christophe Finot
© Creative Commons 3.0/Prosopee

TO EAT:

Brienne Sauerkraut
Brienne sauerkraut, made in Brienne-le-Château, 25 km from Bar-sur-Aube, has the particularity of being cooked with champagne. It is the highlight of the popular Sauerkraut Festival, which has been held every year for over sixty years in the town in September.

Choucroute de Brienne © Getty/from_my_point_of_view

Follow us

Get exclusive information about Le Tour de France Femmes